Thanksgiving is an exciting and blessed time of the year. Your family and friends gather together to share their love, warmth, emotional support and delicious foods. Thanksgiving is also the kickoff to the craziness of holiday shopping and the anticipation that the holidays and New Year brings.
Why wait until New Years to think about your physical and emotional health. Now is a great time to start a new tradition of nourishing your family with healthy choices. You don’t have to give up on all of the fams favs; instead either put a healthier spin on those dishes and/or provide some new healthy delicious options.
- Include a post-dinner walk or bike ride.
- Consider tossing around a football or baseball or kicking a soccer ball around.
- If you have the room, put up a volleyball or badminton net.
- Walk over to the local park to shoot hoops.
- Start the day with breakfast, so you won’t be famished by mealtime. This will help you make better choices.
- Substitute margarine or lard with vegetable stock, butter or olive oil.
- Put raw veggies for appetizers with hummus or salsa instead of fattening dips and chips.
- Bake crustless pies.
- Reduce the amount of sugar used in desserts, as much as half, you won’t even notice it.
- Cook/bake with egg whites instead of whole eggs
- Include cutup fruits with the dessert options.
- Offer sangria, strawberry lemonade, or add mint and lemon to a pitcher of water for a tasty thirst quenching option.
- Cut back on the amount of alcohol served.
- Beef up your salads, add great tasting and healthy whole grains, fruit and vegetables.
- Use lemon zest, dill and other herbs instead of dressings, creamed soups, butter, etc. in your side dishes.
Don’t expect to lose weight over the holiday, concentrate on just enjoying your family’s company and being a good host(ess). After all, it is not how you eat on Thanksgiving Day that determines your health; but rather how you eat the rest of the other 364 days that does.
Happy Thanksgiving from Bella Casa Kitchen & Bath!
Visit our Grand Re-opening of our newly expanded and exclusive custom design showroom! You’ll find everything you need to make your home inviting and comfortable from quality cabinets to beautiful flooring, countertops to hardware, expert assistance and much more.
Bella Casa Design & Remodeling Showroom
Kitchens, Baths, Flooring, & Basements
1812 W. Tilghman St, Allentown, PA
Serving the Lehigh Valley and Surrounding Areas