Is there a room in your house right now that you want to renovate completely? Sometimes you need to revamp your kitchen or bathroom not just for the design but to help with workflow, add storage space, and much more. Renovation is more extensive than changing out one or two small things like a faucet or clearing a clogged drain. These could easily be a weekend project, where redoing your entire kitchen could take more time. Here are a few misconceptions we’ve discovered when it comes to home renovations.
What are the most common mistakes?
- You make it a DIY project. You should hire a professional who can not only design the perfect room for you but someone who orchestrates the remodeling as well.
- You forget about the storage. There needs to be adequate storage; otherwise, your brand new kitchen will have piles of items without a home. You can utilize any unused area for storage, such as the toe-kick area or a small section between cabinets for a spice rack.
- You forget about your workflow. Every kitchen needs to have a workflow. When it comes to your renovation, that flow has to be incorporated.
- You get rid of too much counter space. The amount of available counter space can make or break a kitchen. You can’t get rid of or fill a countertop with appliances without making sure you have your workflow established. If necessary, and if you have the room, you can have ore counter space installed.
- You ignore your budget. It’s crucial to create a budget no matter what type of renovation you’re planning. A budget also helps the designer create the perfect kitchen for you without you feeling it in your wallet.
- You choose the appliances last. The appliances are an essential part of a kitchen, and you should pick them as early as possible. Take into account their height and weight, so they fit comfortably with the cabinets and countertops.
- You don’t think about the room as a whole. Everything needs to tie together with the look and feel of the design. You can’t just focus on a few aspects of the room and hope it will blend.